- Serves as a member of the Executive Committee and attends all business meetings.
- Reports to the Executive Committee concerning all matters associated with the office of the Secretary-Treasurer.
- Prepares the proposed budget for the fiscal year each year for committee approval (based on input from the Business Manager).
Secretarial Responsibilities and Duties
- Assumes responsibilities at the end of the Annual Meeting of the year elected and serves for a two-year period.
- Takes minutes at all Executive Committee Meetings and at the Annual Business Meetings of the Academy. Sends draft of minutes to the President and requests his/her suggestions for changes. Prepares minutes in final form and distributes them directly to the Executive committee and through the NAK Newsletter to the membership.
- In cooperaation with the Business Office, maintains accurate records, operating codes, and files. Cleans files of outdated materials. Sends documents of historical significance to the Historian.
- Based partially on information provided by the Business Manager, prepares annual report of secretarial functions for distribution to the Executive Committee and the membership at the Annual Meeting.
- Working with the Business Manager, sends notice of delinquent status to members with past due obligations.
- Distributes appropriate Operating Codes to Executive Committee members. Sends appropriate Operating Codes to Committee Chairs upon receipt of notice of appointment by President.
- Corresponds with Fellows and members of the Executive Committee, as needed.
- Works with the Business Manager to make sure a current membership list is maintained of all members in their respective classifications.
- Based on information from the Business Manager, informs the Chairperson of the Membership Committee, before nominations are prepared for mail vote, of the number of spaces available for the election of new Fellows. Directs the Business Manager to provide the Membership Committee with an updated membership list.
- Upon receiving the names of newly elected Fellows from the Membership Committee, prepares a news release for each new Fellow and sends it to the individual’s campus news bureau and, as appropriate, to a local paper. In addition, a press release should be sent to the Chronicle of Higher Education, providing background on the NAK, and announcing the new Fellows and their institutions.
Treasurer Responsibilities and Duties
- Coordinates with Business Manager to ensure the maintenance of an accurate record of all financial matters for the Academy. This includes, but is not limited to, dues, contributions, royalties, disbursements, investments, and financial statements.
- Interacts with the Business Manager to ensure that in an emergency s/he is a designated person to sign on all Academy accounts.
- Interacts with the Business Manager concerning all Academy checking accounts/investments.
- Works with the Business Manager to obtain dues from all delinquent members by sending letters or calling said individuals.
- Based partially on financial reports concerning the preceding fiscal year provided by the Business Manager, as well as input from the President and President-Elect, prepares a proposed budget for the next fiscal year, distributes this to the Executive Committee for approval, and then distributes the approved budget to the membership at the Annual Meeting.
- Based partially on financial reports concerning the preceding fiscal year provided by the Business Manager as well as input from the President and President-elect, prepares a proposed budget for the next fiscal year; distributes this to the Executive Committee for approval; and then distributes the approved proposed budget to the membership at the Annual Meeting.