The Executive Committee consists of the President, President-Elect, Secretary-Treasurer, immediate Past-President, and two Members-at-Large (Active Fellows) (By-Laws Article VIII, Section 1).
The Executive Committee shall conduct all business affairs of the Academy not specifically delegated to Officers, Committees, and Active Fellows at the Annual Meetings or by mail vote (By-Laws Article VIII, Section 2).
- Initiate actions that promote the purposes of the Academy.
- Consider, discuss, and respond to requests for action from individual Fellows.
- Consider, discuss, and respond to requests for information or action from other agencies (including, but not limited to contracts and Memorandum of Understanding).
- Recommend to the Committee on Documents of Governance and/or to Active Fellows any changes deemed essential.
- Receive reports by Academy Officers.
- Amend and approve the minutes of the Annual Business Meetings of the Academy.
- All Executive Committee members are to periodically review the Academy Web Site and inform the President of suggested changes.
- The Executive Committee will approve changes to the Academy Web Site presented by the President after the President has discussed proposed changes with the Human Kinetics Webmaster.
- Approve the Operating Codes of Standing Committees (By-Laws Article IX, Section 4), review code revisions proposed by committees, recommend revisions to committees, ensure that the affairs of Standing Committees are conducted in accordance with these Operating Codes.
- Approve Chairpersons and Members of Standing Committees as recommended by the President (By-Laws Article IX, Section 4).
- Review all committee reports and initiate action of approval and/or referral.
Annual Meeting of Fellows
- Approve the time and place of the Annual Meeting.
- At the first meeting of the new Executive Committee during or after the Annual Meeting, review the recommendations of the Past-President regarding a format and plan (including topics and suggested theme) for the following year’s Annual Meeting, and approve the recommendations as submitted or with modifications. (Approval of the program format and plan constitutes authorization to implement the plan.)
- Decide if the Annual Meeting is not to be held due to an emergency (By-Laws Article VII, Section 1).
- Approve special meetings called at the discretion of the President (By-Laws Article VII, Section 2).
- Upon the recommendation of the President, approve her/his appointment of a Parliamentarian for the Annual Business Meetings.
Budget and Expenditures
- Approve the annual budget. The budget is prepared and presented by the Business Manager in consultation with the Secretary-Treasurer, President, and President-Elect.
- Upon request of the President and/or Secretary-Treasurer, approve other non-specified fiscal matters of importance to the Academy.
Executive Committee Meetings
- There are typically three Executive Committee meetings: one preceding the Annual Meeting in the Fall; one immediately following the Annual Business Meeting; and one held early to mid-Spring of the following year.
- Conduct as much of the year’s business as possible at these meetings.
- Consult with and assist the President with the affairs of the Academy during the year.